A lot of clients worry about having to forgo their beloved smashed avo (a brunch staple) during the elimination phase of the Low FODMAP Diet – this is because a safe serving is 1/8 of an avocado (30g) at once.
Unfortunately, during this phase or if you have unsuccessfully trialled sorbitol, it may be tempting to eat more than this small serve in one go. But – fortunately – we’ve come up with some ways to get your avocado fix without the symptoms and make your serving size go a bit further!
Enjoy avo lovers…
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tomato
- ¼ capsicum
- ¼ cucumber
- ½ chilli
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Drizzle lime juice
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) – we like to use a garlic infused version
- Salt to taste
Chop avocado, tomato, capsicum, cucumber, chilli and parsley and mix together. Add lime juice, EVOO and salt and stir well. Serve with low FODMAP tortilla wraps, lettuce and mince or chicken.
- Low FODMAP bread of your choice
- 1/8 avocado
- ¼ cup authentically strained Greek yogurt
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Handful rocket
- 2 poached eggs
- Salt + pepper to taste
Combine avocado and Greek yogurt and spread on your bread / toast. Drizzle with EVOO, top with rocket, poached eggs and salt + pepper.
Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup authentically strained Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup garlic infused extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs of your choice, for example:
- Parsley + basil (great for a chicken salad)
- Parsley + dill (perfect with fish)
- Parsley + chilli (if you’re after a bit of a kick)
- Salt to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender / food processor, or use a stick blender if you prefer. Blitz until smooth, add salt to taste and serve with your favourite salad.