This weeks Low FODMAP Winter Warmer Recipe is Hot Chocolate! Who doesn’t love sitting by a fire and drinking delicious hot chocolate on a cold and wet winters day?
This recipe also contains smooth peanut butter and marshmallows, which are helpful in bulking your stool and making your bowel movement less frequent. This can be particularly helpful if you tend towards diarrhoea or looser stools. If you are constipation predominant you may want to remove the peanut butter and marshmallows from the recipe and instead make it a mocha by adding in a shot of coffee. The caffeine in the coffee will help soften your stool and make your bowel movements more frequent. Additionally, if you do not like peanut butter or you are allergic you can omit this from the recipe and it will still be delicious!
Not only is this recipe delicious, warming, Low in FODMAPs, and can help assist your bowels but it is also packed with antioxidants. Cacao powder is packed with antioxidants called flavonoids which are anti-inflammatory and have immune system benefits.
Low FODMAP Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
– 2 cups almond milk, lactose free milk or macadamia milk (to make it extra creamy!)
– 2 tbsp cacao powder
– 2 tbsp maple syrup
– 2 tbsp smoother peanut butter
– pinch salt
– pinch cinnamon
– Marshmallows to serve
1. Place all ingredients (except for marshmallows) in a blender and blend (this will make it smooth and creamy). If you do not have a blender add all ingredients into a saucepan and whisk until smooth, creamy and warm.
2. Place blended ingredients into a saucepan and place on a medium heat on the stove. Stir until warm.
3. Divide liquid into two mugs, top with marshmallows and enjoy!!
Not sure what plant milks you can have? Why not try out some FODMAP Friendly certified plant milks from the nutty milk company.
We hope you enjoy this recipe! There will be another Winter Warmer recipe in a fortnight.
If you have any suggestions for what recipes you would like to see then please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Until next time,
I am Atlanta Miall-Shorten,