Footy Finals are well upon us and what better to accompany watching a football game than eating an Aussie Meat Pie. I know, I know, you are probably thinking Meat Pie’s are not low FODMAP! Sure your four n twenty may not be but that doesn’t mean that you can’t make your own!
So here is a recipe for a low FODMAP family sized meat pie….it has been adapted from a taste.com recipe. For the original recipe click on this link http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20980/family+mince+pie
Time Preparation 20mins
Time Cooking 50mins
- 2 Sheets Gluten Free Frozen Ready-Rolled Puff Pastry, partially thawed (see picture below of brand I like to use)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 600g beef mince
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 Tablespoons Gravox Beef Traditional Gravy Mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dish. Line base and side with 1 pastry sheet. Trim excess. Place dish on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights and paper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add celery and carrot and herbs. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until veg has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Combine gravy powder and 1 1/2 cups cold water in a jug. Add to pan. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into pastry case. Top with remaining pastry. Press edges to seal. Trim excess. Cut a small cross in the centre of pie top. Brush top with egg. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.
And don’t worry you can still enjoy two tablespoons of tomato sauce with your pie!
I hope you all enjoy the recipe. As a Hawthorn supporter I can no longer cheer on my Hawks but I will be getting on the Bulldog Bandwagon. Can’t wait for the Cats vs Swans tonight I hope hoping for an all Melbourne affair Grand Final of Cats vs Dogs.
Have a lovely weekend!
Until next time I am Atlanta Miall,